Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Struggles and being an underdog

Yesterday I took my son out for a 12K run. He rode his bike whilst I ran behind him. Each step was a struggle, it meant overcoming, obstacles and the dread of repeating the same actions as I mentally thought about how I will manage the portion of the road my son will have to ride on.

As I write my blog, I also reflect quite a fair bit about my own business struggles, when I take on the big boys. I don't have an extensive network, nearly 98% of my clients are folks I have met for the first time. Today I chanced across a familiar face on the Republic Poly's faculty staff, appointed as as an associate academic. Great he served as a Director previously in a government office and is still holding on to a similar position. Access to various contacts he has also serves as a freelance trainer in a company he founded and is listed as a freelance trainer now.

Heck, all the clients listed there are government entities that he gets access to working in his current position. Should I sent a proposal to this entity will my work get past the stage of getting our work approved? It amazes me, even at a level of a director, there is a seeming greed to benefit from the opportunities that comes one's way. Hence that is why I struggle, in my biz with the likes of these folks who just create another wall. Look the qualification you hold wld have been probably founded by me, as a tax payer. The overseas program you have done wld not a carry a signature of the pay you have received as senior civil servant.

This is the same behaviour I saw on part of a Expat GM, whilst working as the General manager at the Hospitality instituition, he went on to established a pub on the side. This included, sending invitations to patrons and customers in the database that he had accessed too. He served 2 years, started another organization and profited from that. He walked out leaving the organization whilst being hailed a hero. All these taking place under the nose of the HR manager who did nothing but attend the gatherings that were initiated at this pub.

I write with bitterness for one reason, I struggled to complete my master's prgm at NTU not because of the study, but for me to complete my thesis I had to leave my full time job, to complete my research. I sponsored myself paying over $60,000, to complete my education from a degree to a master's qualification. I partake in one hardest races in the world and I completed the Singapore's ironman race in 2007. We challenge you head on as we pick up the little pieces of work that come our way.Graduating in 2007 Nanyang technological University
It amazes me how the director of International Experiential learning outfit also runs an audit and ropes building company providing services to very organization he audits. Is this the culture that stems fair play. The very same mindset individuals who work in these entities bring forth , even whilst serving as a public servant. Hence here is where we struggle where individual benefits based on the positions they hold in public office walking tall and talking smart.

The very same chap's clients are the very same client I am competing for. Like the struggle I go through to finish my 12K run, I know, you carry a crutch mentality where you are only as good as the contacts you have in the office you bear responsibilities. Motivated by easy profit, you lack the ability to provide a curriculum that makes a difference. I don't see you as someone superior in fact, you are weak.

Let me share with you some of our hardest days. For 1 year we suffered. It was hard, to the extend, where I will pack my food so that I did not have to buy lunch when I am out making a sales call. 6 months into our biz, we did not have a ready stable of clients. I knocked on many doors and I walked so as save money when I had to find a MRT station. It came to a point, when I even decided that I will now take on part time jobs at night so that I can still keep Teamwork Bound running. Just when I resolved to working at night be it cleaning or waitering, we got our first break, second and a third. God was with us and I remembered crying at the mosque, thinking what I was putting my children, through, because in 2 months we would have exhausted all our funds.

That is why I love the ironman races, where the brave and decent folks stand in line to run a fair race. Where gentlemen compete, whilst folks like these with a crutch, watch on the sidelines. Take that crutch away, you are no more then a handicapped weakling, with 2 legs.

This is me taking you on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice post!

I like the rebel in you. I like your fighting spirit. I like that you speak your mind and are able to share your hardships. And most of all, I am impressed by your courage to take on the world.

Bring it on.

Your blog inspires me.

Keep on riding : )