Sunday, January 20, 2008

2 Good Bike mechanics

I have been riding a racing bike ever since I was 21. Between then and now, I have ridden 3 bikes, the latest being the Leader frame I am using now. For over 12 years I have also visited practically most of the bicycle shops in Singapore. There is Ah Boon in Changi, who will only want talk to you if you are willing to spend 5 grand at his shop. If you have not parted with at least a fair bit of yr bonus he will think twice before even fitting a speedo on your bike. I think the cyclists in Singapore who ride Orbea will know him.

Then again you have Jerome and Jasni, two bike mechanics I found at TEFbikes shop at Thomson road. These are the two chaps who fixed my bike. I knew Jerome from way back in Bedok when I new him as a family friend. Not many guys would have made sacrifices like him. He worked right after school so that his elder brother could make it through to the University. He fixed my Cadex when I entered the powerman race in 2004. And every time he leaves one bike shop for another, I will track him down so that I can get him to fix my bike. He is fit too and he rides very well.
Jasni and Jerome from TEFbikes
Well, Jasni was involved in getting my Bike fixed and he did a very good job at it. I asked him to cut my bull horns and he hesitated. He did not go ahead with it even after 4 days when my bike was left at his shop. I was so glad he did not cut it. For today, I rode the new frame for 60Km and it flew. My speed was in the range of 28km/hr to 35km/hr and I was able to maintain my aero position for 60 % of the distance, from Punggol to Pasir ris, Changi Vilage, Coastal rd, Fort road and back to Punggol again. A morning ride that started at 7.30 am in the morning ended at 9.30 am when I was able to get back home.

Both Jasni and Jerome come without any airs, much to say about Wilson (owner) too. A decent chap and ex cyclist who will do the right job for your bike irregardless of who you are. Not your Ah Boon or Ah Tan, the famed conster who sold Italian Sammochini frames in the 1990's and we all know the only thing Italian about that frame was the sticker. More importantly, both of them are riders too. You don't need to part with a bug or two to be treated well here. These guys are genuine and I respect both of them for what they have done for my bike. Cycling is something that I do that is close to my heart and these guys did a great job in piecing my frame and bike parts together. In finding TEFbikes, I found good folks I can say are also now my friends. I will vouch for these two guys anytime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eb, howz u? Just read your entry about wanting to cut your bullhorns. Lucky your Bike Boys held back a little. I think... IF... you can, try to tweak all the other areas (stem length, seat fore/aft position & angle, etc.), try EVERYTHING first... before you decide to cut - cos that should be the last resort. I hope that whatever decision you made works WELL for you! ;) You're the best person to call the shots as YOU, & no one else, will be riding YOUR bike. ;) Just watch a little of Tour of Qatar this past week.

-ben said...

Yes, I never understood that mentality. For what it is worth, it is the same with many other businesses. When I was totally into high-end audio in 2004, the shops at Adelphi Building downtown totally ignored me when I walked in T-shirts and jeans. Well, since they were too good for my money, the folks at San Jose got my business. *Shrug*

To be fair though, I encountered the same thing with bike shops in North California. Over all, it's a crapshot. Although, I must say that the likelihood of finding proficient mechanics and fitters there is higher. Maybe it has something to do with folks actually willing to pay for it. My fitting took more than 2 hours. I had to bring my full riding gear and my pedals, and a towel. Set up on a special, infinitely adjustable, stationary bike, they watched my power output and sought feedback as to my comfort level. I was sweating up a storm when I was done but the results were priceless.

The bike shops I encounter here use "eye power."

Great that you found 2 adept mechanics. They are hard to find. Another way is to work on your own bike (if you have time). The tools pay for themselves after a few sessions and no one can baby your bike like you do.

Train hard, rest well, race smart, Ebnu!