Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Sunday Run


Well on Sunday I did my run on my own. This time it was the Jungle route and incidently, I met my Platoon Sergeant, whom I have seen occassionaly walking his dog. We spoke for a short while and to my surprise I was his last batch of soldiers that he trained at Tekong, I was doing my National service then.

The run was a mix between easy and hard and I just did the best I could during the run taking on the hils along Punggol road. My running gait has changed a bit, as a result of wearing cushioning shoes. I purchased a pair of Asics - gel Cumulus to fit my style of running and the high arch I have. Here's a picture of this shoe. I have put my legs through a lot of pain with the other shoes I have worn. By far this pair of shoes is the most comfortable with cushioning and support for my high arch. For once I am starting to enjoy my long runs without having to feel the ache on my knees. The gel has a springy feel, that gives you a light bounce as you retract you feet upwards. The last time I wore a pair of Asics shoes was 18 years ago when I was a recruit in the army. That pair of shoes rode me to become a Best Physical Trainee in my company, winning the best cadet in Field training in Officer cadet school, winning 1 cross country race in OCS, completing my first biathlon and my very first marathon. That was a momentous year for me. That year I lost one race coming in second to another police trainee, Koo Chin Poh, in a neck to neck finish. Chin Poh, went on to become a phenomenal runner in Singapore. He holds the records for the marathon and 10K races.

On Monday, I decided to run again even though my schedule was to swim. I managed to complete a fast 5K run in the morning before settling to get some work done in the office. I managed to fit in a 1 hour sales presentation for a potential new client and meet my current client at Woodlands.

During the 5k run I averaged 155 bits a minute and it felt nice. This is my normal route around Punggol. That night I had to tutor my son for his exams that is looming around the corner this week.

No comments: