Wednesday, December 5, 2007

New Season to Start Training again

It has been 2 months since I last made an update eon my blog. having completed the half ironman, I reeled back in defeat as I nursed my ITB injury for 2 months. 1 month after my race a casual 6K run was infused with a limb as I realised I have not fully recovered from my injury. I rested 1 more month and since the start of December I have started to run again. December will a month for runs and recovery swims. I managed 3 decent runs as of last week. Today's run wld have been the most invigorating as I left home at 7.00 in the morning heading towards the Punggol Beach. The run started slowly, as I gained momentum after 10 minutes. The rustic country side feel in Punggol gets you out of the concrete jungle that you practically see everywhere in Singapore. There were very few cars on the roads and all I had to focus on was the acute pain on my knees and just gently roll with the hills at Punggol road. Either side of road, masked and shaded with beautiful green trees that will shelter you even if you run at midday.

Here and on this route, I say hello to my nemesis, Singapore Outward Bound, with whom we Teamwork Bound compete neck to neck in providing services to corporate clients. This is where David meets Goliath, like in the streets of Gaza, where kids stand up to soldiers. This is where Teamwork Bound, stands neck to neck with established, well funded learning providers and we are able to make a difference with clients coming to us commissioning us to cutomise their training programs.

My knees were not acting up, but importantly, my stamina has not dipped either. My heart-rate zone were between 150 and 175 and I felt cool and comfortable with the pace. My brother competitors do watch out, cos I have never felt like this before in my other sessions over the years when I started training again after 2 months of inactivity. Hence the 9 months of training I endured this year has shaped my heart my lungs and core muscles in the legs and upper body. The run was not slow, it was moderate, right to the jetty. Touched the metal barricades turned back on the same route I cam on. The uphills started to challenge me a bit and I realised how simple artifacts can just keep you going. I have started consciously wear Lance Armstrong wrist band now. I has been with me for the good 4 years now. I lost this band couple of times only to find it back again somewhere in my house. As I suffered on the uphill, glancing on the band, the words summed up my resolve not to stop and just run. Live Strong. Commit and clear clarity on your purposeful conduct and goals on where you want to be. A simple band became a conscience checker as i know, 40 million people around the world who wear this same band look to it for encouragement. I did not stop on this run, not on this route, where I fight my daily battles in trying to make Teamwork Boound a preferred provider for experiential learning programs. I made my way back to the housing estate running past Edgefield primary school and back to the my block near the basketball court. The time now was 8.10 am and I have finished my day's work out and it felt great. It felt even more better to now that the year 2008 will be a year, where I will compete even more aggressively on the Tri circuit in Singapore.

No comments: